WIN 95/NT "Find computer option" in Network neighborhood

Spiros B. spiros at elefsina.timeplex.com
Mon Mar 16 15:15:08 GMT 1998

-----I am sorry , I think I have sent this message to the
wrong list a sort time ago !

-------- Begin Forwarded Message -------------

Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 14:22:39 -0500 (EST)
From: "Spiros B." <spiros at elefsina.timeplex.com>
Subject: WIN 95/NT "Find computer option" in Network neighborhood
To: samba-bugs at samba.anu.edu.au
Cc: spiros at elefsina.timeplex.com
Content-MD5: vhSOrKxdgXsgyYCBW/w0GQ==

	Hello there all,

I have been using samba for a long long time but I had never come across to
having a need for being able to display all the samba shares from a win95/NT
machine.

I have just compiled the Samba version 1.9.18p3 and it was very succesful.

My problem is that I can not list all the shares from the "Network Neighborhood"
on a PC...Let me try to walk you through this...

I right click on "Network Neighborhood" on Win95/NT, and select "Find
computer.." and when I put the hostname glory or the IP, I can not find the
shares.

Here is my smb.conf file:

[global]
   printing = bsd
   invalid users = root, sys, daemon, anonymous, sync, nobody, guest
   getwd cache = yes
   dead time = 20
   debug level = 3
   browse list = Yes
   remote announce = 134.196.11.255 134.196.233.255 134.196.3.255 134.196.1.255

[tmp]
   comment = Temporary file space
   path = /tmp
   read only = yes
   public = yes

[cmadocs]
   comment = CMA documentations
   path = /cmadocs
   browseable = no
   guest ok = no
   read only = no
   create mode = 0664
   directory mode = 0775
   delete readonly = yes
   strict locking = yes

[cma1]
  comment = CMA1
  path = /cma1
  browseable = yes
  guest ok = no
  read only = no

[cma2]
  comment = CMA2
  path = /cma2
  writeable = yes
  public = no
  browseable = yes
[cma3]
  comment = CMA3
  path = /cma3
  writeable = yes
  public = no
  browseable = yes

The machine is an Ultra-1 running 5.5.1 and it mounts everything fine using
samba. The problem is that I am using samba to mount some "Clearcase" software
files that need to be able to view the samba shares from the network .

Clearcase is a very stubborn software that needs a lot of tweeking so I had
to increase the limit of the descriptors on my kernel ( soft limit from 64 ) to
256 file descriptors and accordingly modify samba's source in local.h for the
#define MAX_OPEN_FILES 1024  instead of the default 100.

A previous system admin running Samba version 1.9.16p9 with the following
smb.conf file has been able to make the mounts visible through the "Find
computer..." in any Win 95/NT.  Here is his file:

[global]
    mangled names = no
    mangle case = no
    case sensitive = yes
    default case = lower
    preserve case = yes
    short preserve case = yes
    debug level = 3
    security = user
    password server = cma-nt1

[tmp]
   comment = Temporary file space
   path = /tmp
   read only = yes
   public = yes

[tomSNMS]
   comment = Tom's LinkTree Doc
   path = /space/work
   valid users = tomg
   invalid users = root, nobody, guest
   user = tomg
   only user = yes
;   guest account = tomg
   read only = no
   writable = yes
   write list = tomg
   read list = tomg
   hosts allow = 134.196.0.0/255.255.0.0
;   public = yes

[nmsvobs1]
   comment = ClearCase file system
   path = /net/hillary/nmsvobs1
   writable = yes
   public = no
   valid users = tomg, cipolli

[viewstorage]
   comment = ClearCase file system
   path = /space/viewstorage
   writable = yes
   public = no
   valid users = tomg, cipolli

At this point , I still remain clueless as to why I am not able to see the
shares on the new server....Any help would be greatly appreciated.....

Thank you in advance,

Spiros