Amiga Samba file format?

Chris Ryan Chris.Ryan at dem.csiro.au
Mon Mar 16 10:09:48 GMT 1998

Hi Amiga Samba users,

I have an interesting problem using Samba (1.9.16) on the Amiga. Everthing works
fine for PC reads from the Amiga to the PC or dag-and-dropped onto Unix shares (which
also using Samba). However, in the other direction (i.e. at PC GUI drag a Unix file
from Unix share and drop it onto an Amiga share) this copy results in a file that
my httpd on the Amiga can't read (in the case of GIF files; html are OK). It gives
me "illegal file type" errors. If I use diff the file is identical to the original,
and multiview can still read it and view it.

Is Samba creating a file on the Amiga with some subtle differences in the low-level
format of the file that confuses httpd?

Can anyone help please?
Cheers, Chris.

|  Dr. Chris Ryan                                                             |
|  CSIRO Exploration and Mining         email: c.ryan at syd.dem.csiro.au        |
|  51 Delhi Road (PO box 136)           phone: +61-2-9490 8673                |
|  North Ryde NSW 2113                    fax: +61-2-9490 8909                |
|  Australia.                           Please note telephone change!         |
|  WWW (Me): http://www.syd.dem.csiro.au/unrestricted/people/RyanChris/       |
|  WWW (Proton Probe):                                                        |
|      http://www.syd.dem.csiro.au/research/hydrothermal/chris/PM_main.html   |
|  WWW (Cu-Au group): http://www.syd.dem.csiro.au/research/hydrothermal/      |
|  WWW (Mantle Petrology group): http://www.syd.dem.csiro.au/research/mantle/ |