SAMBA get_hostbyname()

Rick Harding ahriman at ozemail.com.au
Fri Mar 13 10:50:31 GMT 1998

Hi,
        I have installed SAMBA on my Linux box, having read man pages, doco,
and diagnosis.txt I am unable to browse Samba form my Win95 box.
        I can only view the shares on the Linux box and the Win95 box from
Liunx if i use "smbclient -L "computername" -I "Ip Address" ie I must
specify the ip address, otherwise I get Get_hostbyname : unknown host
"computername"
        I have checked all of the obvious things ie hosts and lmhosts files
etc... and can obviously ping and ftp between machines.
        If anyone can give me any help I would appreciate it very much.

        Thanks,...
                Rick.