Printer problems with samba...

Kevin W. Reed soldo at telesys.tnet.com
Mon Mar 9 06:00:38 GMT 1998

I've got a problem and I'm not sure what the cause is...

We have two Unix hosts.  One is an SCO Unix 3.2v4.2 (Trip) box with three
working printers on it (printer, laser and labels).

We have a new server SCO 2.3v5.0.4 (Franklin) that is setup with those
same printers as remote printers.  Users can use them just fine without
any problems.

The Samba Server is sitting on the new box (Franklin).  All three of the
remote printers show up and are accessible as shares...

A remote pc (Zippy) can sucessfully send a print job to the samba server
for the printer "laser". It gets the job saves it in /tmp, but never
gets to queuing it to the printer.  The resulting file in /tmp just
sits there forever.  No errors are encountered (that I can see)
to indicate any problems.

In the /tmp directory are files of the right size named like:

zippy.a00812

Which matches the remote hosts name...

For debugging purposes, I changed the print command to:

	print command = cp %s /tmp/print.test

But that never happens.  And I'm not sure why or what is not
configured properly.   I've been going through the book
Samba "Integrating Unix and Windows" but have run out of things to
test for...

I would include the output of testparm but that is a bit on the long
side... Can forward to someone who might have an idea what might
be wrong...