Problems with DOS clients

Glenn Burkhardt glenn at aoi.ultranet.com
Sun Mar 8 23:09:12 GMT 1998

> Date: Sat, 7 Mar 1998 18:29:46 +0100 (MET)
> From: "F. G. P." <fgp at fgp.atnet.at>
> To: Multiple recipients of list <samba at samba.anu.edu.au>
> Subject: Re: Problems with DOS clients
>
> Hi
>
> I was very interrested when I read your message, because I have the same
> problem. I have installed Windows for Workgroups 3.11, together with MS
> TCP/IP 32. I need TCP/IP 32 because Samba can only hande SMB over TCP,
> and
> not TCP over NetBEUI (Standard in Win95, and the only posibility for WFW
> 3.11 without MS TCP/IP 32). So I think you cannot access Samba Servers
> with the DOS-Client from Microsoft. However, maybe there is something
> like
> TCP/IP 32 also for the MS Dos-Client.
>       The Only solution I found for SMB over TCP under Dos was
> LANMANAGER-Client from IBM (Free, like the MS-Client). I didn't try it
> yet, but I will do so in the next days.
>       If you have further questions or you find other solutions, please
> send me a mail (fgpqfgp.atnet.at)
>
>                                       Greetings, fgp

MS Client 3.0 (available on the WinNT Server CDROM, and by ftp from
Microsoft) includes TCP/IP.  When you install it, the setup program
allows you to 'Add Protocol'; select TCP/IP.

I also then routinely edit the PROTOCOL.INI and AUTOEXEC.BAT files to
remove IPX protocol and its associated programs to save space...