Automatic smbpasswd file generation

Ole Holm Nielsen Ole.H.Nielsen at fysik.dtu.dk
Sat Mar 7 15:43:36 GMT 1998

Bill Campbell <bill at celestial.com> wrote:
> It seems to me that I've seen a number of programs that can break
> Microsoft passwords pretty easily, and that using one of these tools
> would allow building an smbpasswd file.

I didn't refer to dirty hacks !  The discussion was about taking
the clear-text password given by the PC to SAMBA during the
initiation of a session, and using that clear-text password
to populate the smbpasswd file !  This would be really elegant,
and very useful for all those sites that will be converting from
clear-text Windows-95 PCs to encrypted-password Windows-98 PCs
from essentially this point in time, when the Windows-98 beta
is out (not to speak of NT workstation clients).

Ole H. Nielsen <Ole.H.Nielsen at fysik.dtu.dk>