Automatic smbpasswd file generation

Bill Campbell bill at celestial.com
Fri Mar 6 17:54:34 GMT 1998

On Fri, Mar 06, 1998 at 08:22:01PM +1000, Ole Holm Nielsen wrote:
>With Windows 98 and NT SP3 it becomes increasingly important to
>support encrypted Windows passwords via the SAMBA smbpasswd file.
>However, there is no way to convert the UNIX /etc/passwd file
>encrypted passwords to smbpasswd, and it is virtually impossible
>to ask all users at a site to come to the sysadmins to type in their
>password for generating smbpasswd entries (neither users nor
>sysadmins would like such a solution).
>This sounds like the right thing to do in preparation for deployment
>of Windows 98 (and for the occasional NT workstation :-).  Is this
>line of development being pursued, or is it even feasible with the
>present SAMBA code ??

It seems to me that I've seen a number of programs that can break
Microsoft passwords pretty easily, and that using one of these tools
would allow building an smbpasswd file.

Bill
--
INTERNET:  bill at Celestial.COM   Bill Campbell; Celestial Systems, Inc.
UUCP:              camco!bill   2835 82nd Avenue S.E. S-100

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and
 bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny
 in government." --1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334 (C.J.Boyd, Ed.,1950)