Problems with DOS Clients

Mac dmccann at nibsc.ac.uk
Fri Mar 6 10:10:00 GMT 1998

Hi all,

>Are you using the full network redirector on the DOS client?  If not
>serch the digest archives.  One person reported that he had to use the
>full network redirector to access samba shares.

My testing (against samba 1.9.17p-something) showed a rather interestign
fact.

I hacked smbd to log the password string as sent by the client, and spotted
that the BASIC redirector in the DOS client always sent 24 character
passwords.  (24 characters is the length of an encrypted password)

Basically, irrespective of what the server wants to do, the BASIC
redirector always uses password encryption.  Test this by following the
instructions in 'ENCRYPTION.txt' and you'll be able to connect from the
BASIC Redirector to Samba.

The FULL Redirector will do both plain-text and encrypted passwords, and
since Samba defaults to plain-text, the myth has grown up that the FULL
Redirector is required.

If anyone knows how to stop the BASIC Redirector always using encrypted
passwords, then I for one would be delighted.

                               Mac
          Assistant Systems Adminstrator @nibsc.ac.uk
                        dmccann at nibsc.ac.uk
   Work: +44 1707 654753 x 285     Everything else: +44 956 237670 (anytime)