More info: Problem /w SMB and OS/2 editors

Steve Snyder ssnyder at indy.net
Thu Mar 5 14:18:58 GMT 1998

ssnyder at indy.net (Steve Snyder) writes:
>I'm using Samba v1.9.18p3 to export drives from my Linux server.  It seems
>that editors under OS/2 have a problem creating files on the shared drives.
>I suspect that the problem may be oplocks-related.
>
>Before I describe the problem, some background.  I export 2 subdirectories
>from my Linux (RedHat v4.2 / kernel 2.0.32) machine.  From both Win95
>(OSR2) and OS/2 (Warp4/FP5) the shares are seen as drives F: and G:.
>
>From both Win95 and OS/2 I can copy files to/from the shares, delete files
>from the shares, list directories, etc.  So far, so good.  Under Win95, I
>can open the Notepad edit, scribble some text and Save As a file on either
>shared drive.  No problem there either.
>
>Under OS/2, though, editors have a problem.  If I bring up the System
>Editor, scribble some text and Save As, I get a Critical Error ("Error
>writing to the file").  When I look at the directory listing for the
>destination drive (share), I see that file has in fact been written!
>
>When I try to create a file with the Brief editor (from the command line:
>"b f:\test.txt") it gives me the same error as when I try to open a file on
>a CD-ROM.  (Brief seems to like opening files as read/write, instead of
>doing the initial open as read-only.)  This error ("No valid files were
>specified.") is not seen on local drives, just the shares.
>
>Neither of these editors has a problem opening existing files on a shared
>drive.  It is just creating the file which seems to be a problem.  And not
>even a real problem since the file is actually created.
>
>Anyone know what's going on here?  Thanks.
>
>***** Steve Snyder *****

Sorry for responding to my own post, but I've got a little more info on
this problem.  This is a fragment of log output generated by my trying to
open a new file "testfile.txt" with the Brief editor:

03/05/1998 01:30:51 Transaction 11 of length 92
switch message SMBtrans2 (pid 3586)
unix_clean_name [./testfile.txt]
unix_clean_name [testfile.txt]
fileinfo of testfile.txt failed (No such file or directory)
03/05/1998 01:30:51 error packet at line 1106 cmd=50 (SMBtrans2) eclass=1 ecode=2
error string = No such file or directory

FYI, the output above was generated with a Samba debug level of 3.

***** Steve Snyder *****

***** Steve Snyder *****