SAMBA digest 1609

Clark, Pete pete.clark at eds.com
Tue Mar 3 18:24:02 GMT 1998

>>Date: Mon, 02 Mar 1998 22:15:18 +0000
>>From: Steve Fosdick <fosdicsj at aom.bt.co.uk>
>>To: samba at samba.anu.edu.au
>>Subject: NT4 and Samba - Connection Problems
>
>>I am having some trouble with NT4 SP3 and samba-1.9.18p3.
>
>>Sometimes NT4 machines connect OK and other times I get one of two
>>error messages.
>
>>When first trying to connect with a particular user name the NT
>>client puts up the hour glass for ages (>30 secs.) and then posts
>>the error message "The credentials supplied conflict with an
>>existing set of credentials" and all subsequent attemps return
>>immediately with the error "Incorrect password or unkown username".

<snip>

Believe it or not, this is a security feature.  This event occurs if you
have an established SMB connection with an NT server, then attempt to
open a second connection with a different user id.  You must break the
first connection (the "existing set of credentials") in order to
establish the second.

	- Pete

Pete Clark, EDS