smbfs -> nfs

Peter H. Lemieux phl at cyways.com
Tue Mar 3 03:20:17 GMT 1998

> Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 17:30:25 +0100 (CET)
> From: Jarek Durak <durak at tempus.metal.agh.edu.pl>
> Subject: smbfs -> nfs
>
> I have one question. Could I export by the NFS an previously mounted
> smbfs filesystem?
>
> From: "C. R. Oldham" <cro at nca.asu.edu>
> Subject: Re: smbfs -> nfs
>
> Search the archives of this list--there was a thread on this just
> yesterday or the day before--apparently it does not work.

Having made this work myself, I'll repost what I wrote in the earlier
thread.

Assuming you're using a recent Linux kernel compiled with support for smb
and nfs filesystems, you *can* re-export a share mounted with smbmount via
nfs.  Make sure that you start rpc.mountd and rpc.nfsd with the -r (or
--re-export) flag.

This also works for NetWare filesystems mounted with ncpmount (even over
IPX), though you can only re-export a single volume (see "man ncpmount"
for details).

Peter

-----
Peter H. Lemieux, President                             mailto:phl at cyways.com
cyways, inc.                                            http://www.cyways.com
203 Arlington Street                                    Voice: (800) 5-cyways
Watertown, Massachusetts 02172-2036 USA                     +1 (617) 924-7991