Panic errors in samba log file

Jeremy Allison jeremy at java.netapp.com
Mon Mar 2 22:16:24 GMT 1998

Angela wrote:

> We have just set up a PC running Linux to be our samba server.  We are
> running version 1.9.18p3 and consistantly see the following error messages
> in the log.smb file.
>
> PANIC ERROR:del_share_mode hash bucket 13 empty
> PANIC ERROR:del_share_mode hash bucket 20 empty
> PANIC ERROR:del_share_mode hash bucket 16 empty
> PANIC ERROR:del_share_mode hash bucket 0 empty
> ERROR: del_share_mode no entry for dev 13 inode 153857
> ERROR: del_share_mode no entry for dev 12 inode 127307

Angela,

	You seem to have a corrupt shared memory file.
This is the file used to store all deny mode and oplock
informatiom.

Bring down all Samba processes on the machine, and then
delete all SHARE_MEM_* files in the /usr/local/samba/var/locks/
directory.

Make sure that this locks directory is not on an nfs
mounted partition (these files are local to the smbd
processes on one machine), and check that you didn't
run out of shared memory space (look for error messages
to this effect earlier in the log). If you did, try
doubling the size of the shared memory file by adding
a :

shared mem size = XXXXXXX

parameter (it defaults to 102400 at compile time but
is now self-tuning based on the MAX_OPEN_FILES parameter
in local.h) - increase XXXXXX to the required size (this
may need some tuning on your part).

Hope this helps,

	Jeremy Allison,
	Samba Team.