SAMBA digest 1605

Stefaan A Eeckels Stefaan.Eeckels at ecc.lu
Sun Mar 1 00:18:30 GMT 1998

Tom,

> And here is the Gotcha !
>
> disable the NetBEUI from your clients.
>
> But, what if you need to exchange files between two machines w/o
> going thruogh the server ?
They both use SMB over TCP/IP. No problem, only one protocol over
the wire. Also make Samba the master browser, so your Win95 boxes
don't fight over the honour every 12 minutes or so.

> Anyway, I think this is another one to be posted at samba-bugs; A LOT
> of oppl already have their Win95/NT running with NetBEUI.
It's not a bug in Samba, it's Windows95. You could also make TCP/IP
the default protocol, without removing NetBEUI. It's such a lousy
protocol you don't notice it being gone, so why bother keeping it?

Anyhow, I'm pleased you have a handle on your problem now.

Stefaan
--

PGP key available from PGP key servers (http://www.pgp.net/pgpnet/)