file access problems

cdean at mobile-gas.com cdean at mobile-gas.com
Tue Jun 30 20:22:45 GMT 1998

I posted this earlier and haven't received any response so I thought I'd
provide more information and maybe someone would have an idea:

> we're testing a new NFS product for our mainframe system
> (Conectivitiy Systems TCP/IP for VSE) and have
> successfully mapped a virtual drive to our unix system
> (AIX 4.2). We use Samba (v.1.9.18p2) to share files with the
> Windows 95 and Windows NT systems in the building. We have
> attempted to map the nfs mounted drive from the
> mainframe via Samba. We're able to see files in the mainframe
> share but cannot copy files to or from the mainframe drive from
> a PC via Samba.

      Win'95        AIX                Mainframe
        PC          4.2               TCP/IP for VSE
          +--+      +--+            +--------------+
  +----+  |  |Samba |  |    NFS     |              |
  |    |  |c.|------|b.|------------|      a.      |
  +____+  +--+      +--+            +--------------+
     gt0493         acs                   vse

 T:(\\acs\power)    /u/power             POWER

A. Exported power queue on mainframe via NFS
B. Mounted POWER on /u/power on server acs - Aix 4.2 and
   created entry in smb.conf to share /u/power as
     [power]

     comment = TST213 POWER Queues

     path = /u/power

     public = no

     writable = yes

     preserve case = yes

     create mask = 0777
C. Mounted \\acs\power on pc - gt0493

D. From the RS/6000 "acs" I can see directories and files
in /u/power. I can copy data from /u/power to another directory
and I can copy files to directories in /u/power.

E. From the PC, if I use FTP's Interdrive NFS I can see folders
and files in the mapped drive power. I can copy data to and from
power.

F. From the PC, using Samba, I can see folders and files in the mapped
drive power, but I cannot copy files to and from power.

When using Explorer to copy from power I get the following:

    Error Performing inpage operation.

When using the command line to copy from power I get this:

    The session was cancelled.

When using Explorer to copy to power I get the following:

    Cannot copy "filename": Cannot read from the source file or disk.

When using the command line to copy to power I get this:

    A device attached to the system is not functioning.

G. From the PC, using Samba I can copy files to and from any other mapped
drive.

Any ideas? We've spoken to the Connectivity Systems and they see no reason
for this
NOT to work...we're attempting to eliminate the FTP NFS software. I would
appreciate any help or ideas.

Thanks
   Chuck Dean