Samba/printing

Barbara Abernathy baberna at menger.eecs.stevens-tech.edu
Mon Jun 29 23:05:39 GMT 1998

Hi all. I'm writing because printing works.... just not very well. I have
the samba server running on a Solaris 2.5.1 600MP box.

Here's the symptons:

Everytime a samba client send print requests to the samba server/print
server the job does print but I get a header and trailer page enclosing
each job. This means everytime a samba client send a print request two
sheets of paper are being wasted per job. This is adding up quickly.

Here's my configuration:

printcap name = /usr/dypepsi/samba/lib/capprint

[global]
	dead time = 30
	guest account = nobody
	printing = sysv
	; log file = /usr/local/samba/log.%m
	load printers = yes
	lock directory = /usr/local/samba/var/locks
	share modes = yes
	short preserve case = yes
	syslog = 1
	preserve case = yes

[homes]
	comment = Home Directories
	browseable = no
	read only = no
	create mode = 750
	public = no
	revalidate = true

[Chimmichanga]
	comment = Art Dept. Printer
	path = /usr/local/samba/var/spool/public
	writable = no
	public = yes
        printable = yes

[Euclid]
	comment = CS Dept. Printer
	path = /usr/local/samba/var/spool/public
	writable = no
	public = yes
        printable = yes

[hypertext]
	comment = CS Dept. Printer
	path = /usr/local/samba/var/spool/public
	writable = no
	public = yes
        printable = yes

[moody]
	comment = CS Dept. Printer
	path = /usr/local/samba/var/spool/public
	writable = no
	public = yes
        printable = yes

lpadmin is configured to print a banner page for each job sent to it
through normal solaris machines. I disabled this and still the two header
and trailer pages continued so I'ver pretty much exhausted my knowledge
on this matter. Does anyone know how to get rid of the header and trailer
pages that samba creates.

--B.A.Abernathy