Final touches to SAMBA: help please

TREVOR IVES TREVORI at avmin.co.za
Thu Jun 25 06:45:40 GMT 1998

I am running a sparc 20 with Solaris 2.5.1. I am trying to attach 95 an NT4 machines to it. I got the compiled Samba off the net somewhere and did a pkgadd. It installed fine.

I have read the man pages and the FAQ, and run the tests on the UNIX side and all are fine. FYI, these are:
smbclient -L
nmblookup -B (on server and client)
nmblookup -d 2 '*'
nmbclient '\\av\tmp' (av is unix server ame)

I can see the server from my pc in DOS an 95, I can map drives in DOS, and see the shares under 95 and NT4 (as defined in the smb.conf file), but as soon as I try to attach thru windows it gives me password errors. NT asks for a username, yet still fails. YES, the passwords are correct. Seems like samba does not know who to let in and denies all...

This is obviously a trivial problem (or is it?) and I need someone to help me with it.

If anyone can help me, I would be most appreciative.

Thanks in advance
Trevor Ives
Senior Geologist: Computer applications
AVMIN