(Fwd) samba lenta

bernardo at unesco.org.br bernardo at unesco.org.br
Mon Jun 22 18:54:33 GMT 1998

From:          Self <UNESCO1/BERNARDO>
To:            freebsd at SBQ.Org.BR
Subject:       samba lenta
Date:          Mon, 22 Jun 1998 12:18:05 GMT-3

Couldn't get help in my FreeBSD list:

As I don't sign samba's list please send copy to my e-mail address:
bernardo at unesco.org.br

With samba working in a FreeBSD 2.2.6 box, I made some tests,
comparing Samba's performance to Netware and ftp ,and did not
 like the results, looks like I'm doing something wrong:

1. Netware  4.1 Server, Pentium 133 32M IDE,   27Mb ZIP file, to
Win95 workstation, Pentium 133, using 2  explorer windows (drag & drop).
 Time: ~30 seg.

2. Same Novell Server, to Samba Server  486 50Mhz 64M
IDE, using the same Win95 workstation, again using the 2 explorer
windows  (drag & drop -> from Novell Server to Samba Server)
Time: ~55 seg

3. From Samba Server to Win95 workstation , again using 2 explorer
windows  (drag & drop)
Time: several (about 6 minutes).

4. Ftp  download from Samba to Win95
Time: 376 seg (63Kb/seg) ->  ftp win95 log

Is this correct, depend on CPU power or ...,  (Samba Server has ae 3com EISA
board, Netware a PCI board,  and the  HD's are similar in both
servers ), what may be the problem ?

[  ] 's

Bernardo

Bernardo M. Brummer           Tel: +55 61 223-8684
bernardo at unesco.org.br       Fax: +55 61 225-9541