samba-1.9.18p8/smbpasswd on AIX

Richard Hogue hogue at bnl.gov
Fri Jun 19 13:05:53 GMT 1998

I installed samba-1.9.18p8 on our RS6000 running AIX: 4.2.1.0 with xlC:
3.1.4.0.  There are 5 errors reported in "util.c" and 2 errors reported
in "server.c", all about "Function argument assignment between types
"unsigned long*" and "int*" is not allowed."

I use encrypted passwords and have a smbpasswd password file in the
ususal place.  I can mount samba share OKAY.  From "root" I can add
users to the smbpassword file and change user's smbpasswords but
USERS CAN'T change their smbpasswords.
 When they try, the log.smb indicates:
Can't set uid (AIX3)
Can't set uid (AIX3)

Are permissions not correctly set to allow "smbpasswd" function any
longer from a user's account???

Ultimately, I would like to have several samba server operating with a
common smbpassword file.

Thanks in advance,

Richard Hogue
email: hogue at bnl.gov