SUMMARY: Favorite print command for SAMBA on Sol 2.5.1

Dave dburwell at telecom.com
Wed Jun 17 16:51:39 GMT 1998

  And the winner is...Jochen Eggemann
  The problem appears to be HP JetAdmin. The "solution" seems to be to turn
off the "True End-of-Job" option for each printer.
  From the Jetadmin menu:
  1) Configuration (super-user only): 1
  5) Modify existing spooler queue(s) 5
                (Select your printer) hp5si-28
  4) Additional printer changes . . . 4
  2) True End-of-Job                      [OFF] 2

  Then save and exit for this printer. Set this option to [OFF] on all of
your JetAdmin printers. This option is set to [ON] by default.

  I changed this on Tuesday last week, and have had only one printer lock
up since then. Normally, I would expect at least 1 or 2 a day.

  ALSO: I have a UNIX Admin in the UK that was having the exact same
problem, and he WAS NOT running SAMBA. All of his clients were Sol 2.X and
the lockups were happening when his users were printing through the
printool instead of the command line. This solved his problem too.

  Other recommendations:
  Get rid of the Sol lp system completely.
  Replace it with LPRng-3.5.1
  Even the documentation said this was a long process. I will save that one
for later.

  Others responded with their SAMBA print commands:

  print command = lp -c -d%p %s; rm %s

  Another suggestion was to add the fully qualified path to the commands:
  print command  = /usr/ucb/lpr -r -P%p %s
  printcap name  = /bin/lpstat
  lpq command    = /usr/ucb/lpq -P%p
  lprm command   = /usr/ucb/lprm -P%p %j

  Original Question: