debugging 'unix password sync'

Corey M. Wirun cmwirun at comcept.com
Tue Jun 16 19:21:19 GMT 1998

Hello All,

Running 1.9.18p8, I thought I would try to get unix password synchronization
to work.  After reading the smb.conf docs, I made the following changes to
my smb.conf:

   unix password sync = true
   passwd chat debug = true
   passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u

And also to my /etc/inetd.conf:

netbios-ssn stream tcp nowait root /usr/local/sbin/smbd smbd -d 100

The debug level of 100 came from the docs for 'passwd chat debug'.

I restarted everything (including a cold boot, which it was overdue for...), and
I logged in from a Win95 client.  Going through 'Settings->Passwords->
Change Other Password->Microsoft Networking', I kept getting 'incorrect
password'.  Okay, no problem, probably a bad chat script (it's Solarisx86 2.5.1).

I looked in my log files (log.<machine>, log.smb, log.nmb), and there was no
chat script debug information.  I did try and put a zero-length 'old' password
on Win95 to see what it would do, and all I saw was a 'change_oem_password:
incorrect password length' message in log.<machine>.

Are there other steps required to get chat logging to work?

Thanks in advance, eh?
Corey M. Wirun
satcan19 - simulated air traffic control organization (canada)