Changing passwords problem from Win95

Maurice Agavnian agavnian at cegelec-red.fr
Fri Jun 12 17:19:11 GMT 1998

Hello,

I'm running Samba 1.9.19-prealpha (CVS, June 8 1998) on a sparc Solaris 2.6
server. It works fine. Now I'm trying to use the password changing feature from
my Win95 clients'control panel.

So I compiled with -DALLOW_CHANGE_PASSWORD, enabled encrypted passwords (have a
smbpasswd file) and added 'unix password sync = yes' in my smb.conf...

But password changing don't works because I use NIS. Under solaris and NIS, the
/bin/passwd command always need an old UNIX password, even if it is called as
root. With 'password chat debug' enabled, I notice that a blank string "" is
passed instead.

Someone has any experience on this problem ?

Thanks.

Maurice.