Refusing password from win95 client

Jonathan Peterson jon at amxstudios.com
Wed Jun 3 16:01:09 GMT 1998

This is surely in a FAQ somewhere, but I can't find it.

Latest ver. of samba on RH Linux 5.0, encrypt. passwds.

My Win95 clients were happy. Then I used poledit to turn off password
caching and now they are not happy. The problem is that they can't connect
to their home directories. Guest shares are fine, and other shares that
require passwords are fine, but when you connect to your home dir, Windows
simply says 'Access to specified device, path or file is denied' (thro
network neighbour hood). Attempting to re-connect a drive that is mapped to
the home dir says 'the specified network password is not correct'. If you
disconnect the drive and re map it, you are prompted for a password, and it
works fine. But then when you reboot, the problem is back.

This is what I get in the log.smb file when I attempt to connect.

switch message SMBtconX (pid 1333)
Allowed connection from amx37.amxstudios.com (195.238.161.166) to jon
1998/06/03 16:40:48 invalid username/password for jon
1998/06/03 16:40:48 error packet at line 171 cmd=117 (SMBtconX) eclass=2
ecode=2
1998/06/03 16:40:48 Transaction 85 of length 64

Any pointers?

--------
Jon Peterson   jon at amxstudios.com   London, UK   ICQ 13403962

War is not about who is right. It is about who is left.