Supporting both non encrypted and encrypted passwords

Marc Merlin marc_merlin at magic.metawire.com
Fri Jul 31 22:48:04 GMT 1998

Hi,

I  have a  network  with a  mix  of Win95  and 98  machines  (thus some  use
encrypted passwords by default and some don't.

I already have all  the users in a Unix password file  therefore I'd like to
use non encrypted passwords if I can and fall back on encrypted passwords if
I don't have a choice (patched Win95 and Win98) because that requires people
with encrypted password machines to populate the smbpassword file.

The ideal  setup would be  to have non  encrypted passwords with  the update
encrypted =  yes for  the older  machines, and  encrypted passwords  for the
newer ones.

I've searched the mailing list archives  and found the message that suggests
to use "include = smb.conf.%M"
This however,  means that  I have  to keep  track of  all the  machines, and
create the smb.conf.machine files.

Is there a better way? Can I use %R to find which machines require encrypted
passwords? Or is there any other way to  have Samba support both at the same
time without having to give it a list of clients and protocol to use?

Thanks,
Marc
--
Home page: http://magic.metawire.com/~merlin/ (browser friendly)