samba performance with autocad r14

Norbert Lomb norbert.lomb at boc.de
Fri Jul 31 13:10:39 GMT 1998

Hi,

Im using samba (S.U.S.E LINUX 5.2 on COMPAQ P90 EISA) as a fileserver
for some NT  4.0 clients with autocad R14. Copyinf files over the
network (hp100anylan) is realy fast, but opening files with autocad
behaves strange.

Opening a 3.5 MB - DWG file the first time takes 3 - 5 secs, closing and
opening again the same file takes about 30 - 60 secs, sometimes very
much longer (up to 2 mins)

I dated up from S.U.S.E 5.1 to 5.2 (newer version of samba (1.9.18p3)
included) with no effect, also I tested different settings in
´/etc/smb.conf´ as suggestet in S.U.S.E.´s support database.

Now I believe this problem is caused by the way how Microsoft NT /
Autocad handles opening / locking these files.

Has anyone else encountered this problem and has anyone found a solution
?

thanks

Norbert Lomb
BOC Computersysteme GmbH