Network Neighborhood shows Linux icon doesn't allow to open, debug Marathon

Evan Panagiotopoulos panagiot at frontiernet.net
Tue Jul 28 01:59:49 GMT 1998

After going through the /usr/doc/samba-1.9.17p4/DIAGNOSIS.txt file
(GREAT debug/diagnostic tool!!!!!!!) I'm closer than ever!!!!!!!!
I now SEE THE Linux machine name in my Network Neighborhood!!!!!!!!! I

can ping both machines without any problem from both machines (W98 and

Red Hat 5.1).

I have edited the registry to allow plain text passwords.

When I try net view from my W98 machine I see the two computers:

\\Diane                    Diane's Computer
\\Spanky                  Samba 1.9.17p4

If I try to "net view \\spanky" I get the following nasty message:
"Error 53: The computer name specified in the network path cannot be
located. Make sure you are specifying the computer name correctly, or
try again
later when the remote computer is available."

If I click on Spanky from Network Neighborhood I see:
\\spanky not accessible.
The computer or sharename could not be found. Make sure you typed it
correctly, and try again.

I also have in the smb.conf the :debug level = 3".  I've checked the
/var/log/samba-log." and
/var/log/messages" and everything looks OK.

In a way this made me dig a little farther than I would ever casually
dig and I have learned A LOT.
I hate to say it but I enjoyed the learning aspect of it.

I'm almost there,