Weird SAMBA Memory Leak?

cjwoods at evolv.com cjwoods at evolv.com
Mon Jul 27 18:57:44 GMT 1998

Hello,

We've a machine running 1.9.18p2 on SPARC/Solaris 2.6. There is an NT
machine next to it that has a filesystem mounted, and does lots of reads and
writes to the samba share -- there is a shell script (cygwin32 bash, not a
bat file) that runs continuously on the NT machine looking out for changes
in the filesystem on the mount, and then calls up an app that does some file
conversion on the changed files. The problem I have is that the smbd
process, after a while, starts chewing serious memory, and gets to the point
where the machine eventually runs out, and inetd can't even spawn telnetd
for me to get in to reboot it. Here are the relevant parts of my smb.conf:

---8<---8<---
[global]
security = share
socket options = TCP_NODELAY
os level = 0
domain master = no
dns proxy = no
preserve case = yes
default case = lower
case sensitive = yes

[webroot]
   path = /u1/webroot
   public = no
   writable = yes
   printable = no
   create mask = 0755

---8<---8<---

root at darwin:/usr/local/samba/lib(49)# smbstatus

Samba version 1.9.18p2
Service      uid      gid      pid     machine

No locked files

Share mode memory usage (bytes):
   102248(99%) free + 96(0%) used + 56(0%) overhead = 102400(100%) total

Any ideas?

/cjw

--
    ) Chris Woods  +  cjwoods at evolv.com (