Domain logon from behind proxy...

green at UMDNJ.EDU green at UMDNJ.EDU
Mon Jul 27 16:20:41 GMT 1998

On Mon, 13 Jul 1998 samba at samba.anu.edu.au wrote:

> Date: Sat, 11 Jul 1998 22:36:46 -0400
> From: "Bill Eldridge" <bill at rfa.org>
> To: <samba at samba.anu.edu.au>
> Subject: Domain logon from behind proxy...
>

> I think this has been addressed a few times,
> but without quite satisfactory results.
>
> I have a private subnet behind an NAT
> proxy server (IPMASQ), and a public subnet
> on the other side with the NT PDC on the public.
> (Using both NetBEUI & TCP/IP).  The PDC
> will change later, but currently I'm trying to
> find out how this all works before I do that.
>
> I'm trying to make a client machine on the
> private side use only TCP/IP, no NetBEUI,
> and logon to the domain.  I've tried various
> assortments of WINS on the proxy machine,
> on a single-card private Samba machine,
> various LMHOST configurations (one line
> that always seems to give a "too many columns"
> is the:
>
> 192.68.1.3    mypdc    #PRE    #DOM:mydomain

Bill, I haven't tried logging in through a proxy, so I don't know if
this will work for you, however it worked for me when our Telecomm folks
turned off udp forwarding through ports 137, 138, & 139.

In your lmhosts file, put in lines like the following for your PDC:

 192.68.1.3  mypdc    #PRE    #DOM:mydomain
 192.68.1.3  "mydomain       \0x1c"         #PRE
 192.68.1.3  "mydomain       \0x1b"         #PRE

Note that the number of spaces between quotes in the second and third
lines lines are pertinent;  there should be 15 characters (including
name and spaces) before the hex values.

Clifford Green               Internet -  green at umdnj.edu
Academic Computing Services     voice -     732-235-5250
UMDNJ-IST                         fax -     732-235-5252
Help wanted telepath: you know where to apply