Cache Problems!

David Collier-Brown davecb at Canada.Sun.COM
Mon Jul 27 12:30:07 GMT 1998

You wrote:
| The problem that I'm having is that once a file has been opened from
the
| share, changes made to that file via the WWW interface are not seen by
| the Win95 client, they still get the old file's contents.

	This is an artefact of the so-called ``opportunistic lock''
	algorithm, which allows client-side caching unless another
	pc client attempts to edit the file.

	You can turn oplocks off on the share (it's read-only,
	after all), or on individual files with ``veto oplock files''.

	I recommend
	[the share name]
		fake oplocks = NO
		oplocks = NO

 A more elegant solution would be to make the WWW side use
a corresponding Unix lock sufficient to trigger Samba's oplock-break
logic.

 Can any of the development crew suggest what would be required for
the latter?

--dave
Willowdale, Ontario   | davecb at hobbes.ss.org, canada.sun.com
M2N 1Y3. 416-223-8968 | http://java.science.yorku.ca/~davecb