Cache Problems!!!!!

Anthony Ord samba at rollingthunder.demon.co.uk
Sat Jul 25 16:03:58 GMT 1998

On Fri, 24 Jul 1998 08:26:12 +1000, you wrote:

>I've got a system setup where a Win95 client (written in Visual C++ 5.0)
>presents a user with a GUI that collects information about hardware that
>he/she would like to produce. This information is used to build a path
>to the directory that contains the files to load into one of the
>production machines. For example, through the use of menus and such the
>user indicates that they would like to run a Laser Solder job on a F22
>MLD board named xyz. Based upon this information, my application goes to
>a directory called "p:\ois-data\laser\F22 MLD XYZ" and looks for files
>that support paste and laser solder operations. This access is handled
>through a read-only public share. Pretty simple stuff. All this stuff is
>for the factory floor operators.
>
>For the engineering activities (i.e., creating the files for doing the
>pasting and soldering), I use a WWW interface that manipulates the
>read-only data sets. An engineer indicates he'd like to edit the data,
>it presents forms and such to accomplish this, verifies his identity and
>privilege level, and then updates the data sets accordingly. The server
>is a RedHat 5.0 system with Samba 1.9.18p8.
>
>The problem that I'm having is that once a file has been opened from the
>share, changes made to that file via the WWW interface are not seen by
>the Win95 client, they still get the old file's contents. Time stamps
>and size information is updated correctly and noticed by the
>application, but when it reads files it gets the old content. I can quit
>the application and run it again, and it will still read old data. The
<snip>

Are you running with opportunistic locks (op locks) on? Have you tried
turning them off? Any difference?

Note: you can use the "veto op lock files" parameter to just turn it
off for pertinent files, but for testing, try turning them all off.

Anthony
|"If all these pretty young things were laid end-to-end,    |
|I wouldn't be the least bit surprised." - Dorothy Parker   |
|If I want SPAM| I post so rarely, complaining about my .sig|
|I'd buy a tin | will consume more bandwidth than *it* does.|