Slowdown when copying large files

Michael Anthon anthonm at tams.com.au
Fri Jul 24 07:16:21 GMT 1998

I am currently investigating using samba on a Linux box to provide file
server services on our NT LAN (I'm a bit sick of NT doing dummy spits on
me).  I'm running RH5.1, and have just upgraded samba to
samba-1.9.18p8-51.3 (using the rpm from
http://samba.anu.edu.au/samba/ftp/Binary_Packages/redhat/RPMS/5.1/samba-
1.9.18p8-51.3.i386.rpm)

The setup includes several NT servers, one set up as a PDC and 2 BDCs
and samba is confiigured to use the PDC for password authentication.

Everything seems to work fine, except that when I try copying a largeish
file (the test one I'm using is about 12M) it takes about 8-10 minutes
to copy (this is on a 10M LAN).  I ran top on the Linux box while I was
doing this and smbd seems to start off using around 8% of CPU time, but
at the point things seem to start slowing down, the usage jumps up to
75-80%.

I'm wondering if this is a known problem and if it's not, perhaps a few
pointers on where to start looking might help me a bit.

TIA
Michael Anthon

TAMS Systems

PS.
I have done a bit more checking.  It seems that when I start to copy a
large file, smbd starts using about 5% CPU time.  This slowly increases
to a point where it is using about 80% or so.  At the same time, the
system seems to start thrashing the hard drive.  I did look in to the
memory issues.  My swap file had been disabled (no entry in fstab ??)
but I have since re-enabled it and that has not improved matters at all
(it's not actually using the swap anyway since it has 64M of RAM and
it's not full yet).

I'm totally stumped.

I originally posted this to the NT-Dom list and got this reply.....