Domain master browser

Janet Dickson janet at bioss.sari.ac.uk
Thu Jul 23 09:04:54 GMT 1998

Hi
	I have Samba 1.9.19-prealpha running as a PDC on a Solaris 2.5.1
machine FISHER.  My log.nmb file is filling up with messages :

process_local_master_announce: Server PCPEARSON at IP 129.215.168.205 is
announcing itself as a local master browser for workgroup BIOSSTEST and
we think we are master. Forcing election.

1998/07/22 14:09:32 *****   Samba name server FISHER has stopped being a
local master browser for workgroup BIOSSTEST on subnet 129.215.168.200
*****

1998/07/22 14:09:56 *****   Samba name server FISHER is now a local
master browser for workgroup BIOSSTEST on subnet 129.215.168.200 *****

BROWSING.TXT says :
When samba is the domain master and the master browser it will listen
for master announcements (made roughly every twelve minutes) from local
master browsers on other subnets and then contact them to synchronise
browse lists.

PCPEARSON is an NT Workstation on the same subnet.  Is this expected
behaviour ?  If not how do I prevent it ?  smb.conf global section is
appended.

Also when I start up nmbd, log.nmb shows :

1998/07/02 17:55:39 ***** Samba server FISHER is now a domain master
browser for workgroup BIOSSTEST on subnet UNICAST_SUBNET *****
..
..
1998/07/02 17:55:47 ***** Samba server FISHER is now a domain master
browser for workgroup BIOSSTEST on subnet 129.215.168.200 *****

What is this UNICAST_SUBNET ?

Hope someone out there can help.

	Janet

Janet Dickson                          |
http://www.bioss.sari.ac.uk/~janet
Biomathematics and Statistics Scotland | email: janet at bioss.sari.ac.uk
The King's Buildings, Mayfield Rd      | Telephone: +44 (0) 131 650 4888
Edinburgh EH9 3JZ, Scotland, UK.       | Fax: +44 (0) 131 650 4901

[global]
        server string = BioSS Samba test Server
        workgroup = BIOSSTEST
        comment = This is BioSS Samba test server
        guest account = ftp
        debug level = 1
        lock directory = /tmp/samba
        hosts allow = @sass-pcs, @sass-suns, 127.0.0.1
        password level = 4
        printing = sysv
        printcap name = /usr/local/samba/lib/printcap
        security = user
        log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log.%m
        include = /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf.%m
        encrypt passwords = yes
; DOMAIN STUFF
        domain master = yes
        local master = yes
        preferred master = yes
        os level = 65
; WINS _SERVER_
        wins support = yes
; SAMBA NT PDC and NT DOMAIN LOGON STUFF.
        domain sid = s-1-5-21-123-456-789
        domain logons = yes
        domain admin users = janet
        logon script = %m.bat