Q: How 2 Override Domain?

Konrad Heuer kheuer at gwdu60.gwdg.de
Wed Jul 22 12:39:56 GMT 1998

Sorry for asking - but I found or understood nothing appropriate in the
FAQs etc.

I run a Samba print service (1.9.18p7) on a FreeBSD box for the university
of Goettingen. Authentification is user-based and done by an NT system.
Everyone who wants to print must have an account on that system.

There are a lot of NT domains on the campus, of course. If now someone
tries to connect to a print service (username/password combination
supposed to be correct), the client domain seems to be transferred to the
NT box for user validation. Probably this domain is not the domain our NT
system is in (let's call the latter one MAJOR-DOMAIN), so user validation
fails one, two, three (?) times. Then Samba seems to replace the original
domain name by MAJOR-DOMAIN and the user gets the print service. The user
won't recognize the problem until he/she tries to connect to second
printer. Then the invalid logon counter of the NT server gets further
incremented and it will then prevent the user from using any service for a
couple of time.

So my question is: What can I do to solve the problem? Can I force Samba
to replace the domain name by MAJOR-DOMAIN from the beginning? Or are
there any config options I've overseen? My smb.conf contains the following
lines:

   workgroup       = MAJOR-DOMAIN
   password server = NT-Box
   security        = server
   wins server     = NT-Box

I'd greatly appreciate any hint or help since I've no idea any more after
a lot of experimenting.

Konrad Heuer

// Gesellschaft fuer wissenschaftliche Datenverarbeitung mbH
// Goettingen (GWDG), Am Fassberg, D-37077 Goettingen, Germany
//
// kheuer at gwdu60.gwdg.de