W95 and Dial up Networking

Charlie Brady cbrady at ind.tansu.com.au
Wed Jul 22 01:39:44 GMT 1998

On Wed, 22 Jul 1998, Harry Ford wrote:

> I have a pc that I'm trying to dial into the home office with (Samba server
> on sunOS, WINS support, the whole deal) it will log in successfully the
> first time -- you can see shares, net neighborhood, no prob. then
> disconnect -- and try to reconnect, and the dial in dialog hangs at
> "Logging into network" for a while, and no more net neighbors.
>
> I thought maybe it was DNS resolution of the WINS address, but that's
> turned off in the registry.  baffling.  should I configure my samba server
> to support domain logons?

I'm only guessing here, but I suspect you are striking trouble with
caching of netBIOS names. Do you have dynamic IP assigned to your dialup
lines? In other words, are you trying to reconnect with the same name, but
a different IP address? I don't know whether the WINS function of nmbd has
any option to purge names, but you might think about running something
when the dialup connection is broken to purge the WINS database. If you
are running the Open Source PPP (Paul MacKerras, from the same University
as samba), then you might be able to put something appropriate in the
ip-down script.

Charlie Brady - Telstra  |internet: cbrady at ind.tansu.com.au
Network Products         |Snail    : Locked Bag 6581, GPO Sydney 2001 Australia
Platform Technologies    |Physical : Lvl 2, 175 Liverpool St, Sydney 2000
 IN-Sub Unit - Sydney    | Phone: +61 2 9206 3470 Fax: +61 2 9281 1301