USTAR format in SMBTAR

Wayne_Johnson at candle.com Wayne_Johnson at candle.com
Mon Jul 20 21:06:42 GMT 1998

We've been having problems using SMBTAR to back up some of our PCs.  It
seems that the tar format used by SMBCLIENT only supports a 100 character
path name.  Some of the new Microsoft Software generates longer file names.
This causes an error when you attempt to write these files out to the tar
device.

I have developed a patch that will cause SMBCLIENT to write these files in
USTAR format (an extension of tar format).  These USTAR files should be
fairly portable, our sun systems seems to be able to read them with no
problem.

I guess I would like to know, would this patch (which is currently based on
1_9_16p11) be useful to the Samba community?  If so, what should I do with
it to get it included with the next release of Samba?

The fix currently writes ONLY in USTAR format.  Is there a need to write in
either format?  What does the run of the mill tar programs do?