Solved & Thanks: Multiple Win95 usernames...

Philip Hallstrom philip.hallstrom at cendantsoft.com
Mon Jul 20 15:56:05 GMT 1998

The other day I asked how to solve the problem where my NT domain username
is <PHILIPH> and my samba username is <philip>.  Several replied
indicating the "username map" option in smb.conf (can't believe I missed
it).  Anyway, by adding the following line to smb.conf:

usrname map = /path/to/username.map.file

and then adding the following line to the above referenced file:

philip = philiph

I can no log into samba specifying my samba password and it works.

I've copied the username map description from smb.conf.

Thanks to all those who responded!

-philip

  username map (G)
     This option allows you to to specify  a  file  containing  a
     mapping  of  usernames  from the clients to the server. This
     can be used for several purposes. The most common is to  map
     usernames that users use on DOS or Windows machines to those
     that the UNIX box uses. The other is to map  multiple  users
     to  a  single  username  so  that they can more easily share
     files.

     The map file is parsed line by line. Each line  should  con-
     tain  a single UNIX username on the left then a '=' followed
     by a list of usernames on the right. The list  of  usernames
     on  the  right may contain names of the form @group in which
     case they will match any UNIX username in  that  group.  The
     special  client name '*' is a wildcard and matches any name.
     Each line of the map file may be up to 1023 characters long.

     The file is processed on each line by  taking  the  supplied
     username  and  comparing  it with each username on the right
     hand side of the '=' signs. If the supplied name matches any
     of the names on the right hand side then it is replaced with
     the name on the left. Processing  then  continues  with  the
     next line.

     If any line begins with a '#' or a ';' then it is ignored

     If any line begins with an ! then the processing  will  stop
     after that line if a mapping was done by the line. Otherwise
     mapping continues with every line being processed.  Using  !
     is  most  useful when you have a wildcard mapping line later
     in the file.

     For example to map from the name "admin" or  "administrator"
     to the UNIX name "root" you would use

          root = admin administrator

     Or to map anyone in the UNIX group "system" to the UNIX name
     "sys" you would use

          sys = @system

     You can have as many mappings as you like in a username  map
     file.

     If Samba has  been  compiled  with  the  -DNETGROUP  compile
     option  then  the  netgroup  database  is checked before the
     /etc/group database for matching groups.

     You can map Windows usernames that have spaces  in  them  by
     using double quotes around the name. For example:

          tridge = "Andrew Tridgell"

     would map the windows username "Andrew Tridgell" to the unix
     username tridge.

     The following example would map mary and fred  to  the  unix
     user  sys,  and map the rest to guest. Note the use of the !
     to tell Samba to stop processing if it gets a match on  that
     line.

          !sys = mary fred      guest = *

     Note that the remapping is applied  to  all  occurrences  of
     usernames. Thus if you connect to "\\server\fred" and "fred"
     is remapped to "mary" then you will actually  be  connecting
     to  "\\server\mary"  and  will  need  to  supply  a password
     suitable for "mary" not "fred". The only exception  to  this
     is the username passed to the "password server" (if you have
     one). The password server will receive whatever username the
     client supplies without modification.

     Also note that no reverse mapping is done. The  main  effect
     this  has  is  with printing. Users who have been mapped may
     have trouble deleting print jobs as PrintManager under  WfWg
     will think they don't own the print job.

     Default      no username map

     Example      username map = /usr/local/samba/lib/users.map