HELP -- upgrade to 1.9.18p8 causing print/disk trouble ...

Jim Farrell jwf at platinum.com
Mon Jul 20 15:54:57 GMT 1998

I recently upgraded all our site's samba servers to 1.9.18p8, and I seem to
be having many strange problems where they didn't exist before. I haven't
made any changes to smb.conf.

The biggest trouble I seem to have is that people can no longer access
printers ... NT/95 just gives a generic "path to server not available"
message.  Some nodes even have trouble connecting to shares.  When the
PC's browse the network, then can see the server just fine, but often
cannot browse any shares on the server.  Rebooting the PC doesn't help.

I've found that if I configure the WINS services on the PC's, the trouble
often goes away.  On NT I set "use DNS for WINS resolution". Once WINS is
properly configured, the PC seems to work fine. smbclient from any
machine on the network, and on other subnets has no trouble connecting to
the samba services at all.

I've never had to use WINS services before on my local PC's .... but I set
the samba server up (a long while ago) to serve WINS anyway just in case
people needed it.  Now, it looks as if the PC's won't work at all unless
WINS services are enabled.

The [global] section of my smb.conf appears below .... any pointers/help
would be appreciated.  If I cannot solve this issue soon, I'll have to
back the server upgrade out and continue running older versions.

Thanks,

-- jim

(IP of this server is 192.168.45.20)

[global]
   deadtime = 10
   domain master = yes
   encrypt passwords = yes
   guest account = nobody
   load printers = yes
   log file = /usr/local/samba/var/logs/log.%m
   null passwords = no
   os level = 60
   preferred master = yes
   printcap name = /usr/local/samba/lib/printcap
   printing = sysv
   remote announce = 192.168.166.255/ABLAB 192.168.112.255/ASTLAB
192.168.45.255/ABLAB
   remote browse sync = 192.168.166.100 192.168.112.18
   security = user
   server string = ablab server
   share modes = no
   socket options = TCP_NODELAY
   strict locking = no
   time server = true
   username map = /usr/local/samba/private/mapnames
   wins proxy = yes
   wins support = yes
   workgroup = ABLAB