Can I specify a different username under Win95???

Andre Albsmeier andre.albsmeier at mchp.siemens.de
Mon Jul 20 05:15:19 GMT 1998

> Take a look at your /etc/smbusers file.
>
> I think this is what it's for.  Sorry I can't be more positive, but it's been
> a long time since I set up Samba and since it's running smoothly I've had no
> reason to fiddle.  :)
>

> I've added:
> jbenson = "Jonathan Benson" tech1
>
> jbenson is my Linux log in,  "Jonathan Benson" is my username under Win95 and
> tech1 is my machine name under 95.
>
> Regards,
>                Jonathan

Hmm, I see. But what to do if the server is a NT machine? I have to come
up with the same solution for both samba (/etc/smbusers would be fine)
and the NT server (no smbusers).

On NT, if I am logged in as user bla, and this user can't be found on
the server, I am prompted to specify user and password once more when
mounting the share. However, under Win95 this doesn't happen. If someone
knew how to make this additional user/pw box appear under Win95 it would
be the highest desireable option since I have no control over the
server(s) here.

Thanks anyway,

	-Andre