Odd problem...no password authentication to shares?

David Collier-Brown davecb at Canada.Sun.COM
Fri Jul 17 19:02:03 GMT 1998

You noted:
       The funny thing is, and I think this might be where my problem
lies, is that I can map anyone else's drives.  I don't have permission
read their files, but I do get file listings...

        Shouldn't the [homes] section only allow me to read my personal
home directory, and not everyone else's?  Shouldn't it prompt me for a
password if the password changes on the Solaris host, but not my Novell?

        I've repeatedly gone through the smb.conf man page, to see if
I've
overlooked anything, and will do so again, but as of yet, I haven't
found
anything to 'steer' me inthe right direction...
---

	This is just a Unix norm, that surprises people.  You can
	mount/connect-to/map just about anything you can cd to.  If the
	file permissions on unix won't let you read or execute, you're not
	going to be able to read or cd...

	It's related to your password-change problem, but probably not
	,a root cause.

--dave
Willowdale, Ontario   | davecb at hobbes.ss.org, canada.sun.com
M2N 1Y3. 416-223-8968 | http://java.science.yorku.ca/~davecb