Disappearing Server

Bob Kruger bkruger at mindspring.com
Fri Jul 17 11:50:39 GMT 1998

I am having trouble with a server disappearing from a workgroup, even
though the server is still on line and as far as I can tell functioning
properly.  The specifics follow:

Samba Version - 1.9.18p8
OS - Linux 2.0.35, 486-120
Compiler gcc 2.7.2.3

global portion of smb.conf:

[global]
   printing = bsd
   printcap name = /etc/printcap
   load printers = yes
   guest account = guest
   server string = Diecard Server
   workgroup = DCSYS
   netbios name = OPLDIECARD
   remote announce = 156.65.104.0/DCSYS 156.65.105.0/DCSYS
   security = user
   status = yes
   browseable = yes
   share modes = yes
   strict locking = yes
   socket options = TCP_NODELAY
   encrypt passwords = yes
   read prediction = yes
   update encrypted = yes
   locking = yes

The problem is that when viewing workgroup DCSYS from a Win95 Machine, the
server is not showing up.  If I drop to a DOS shell and enter:
"net view \\opldiecard", I can see the shares of the server just fine.
I can also remap the shares using "net use ...." just fine as well.

One other point - the machine that I am looking at workgroup DCSYS from is
in workgroup UG2.  I thought that by using the remote announce capability
in the smb.conf, I could broadcast to the entire network that this server
is in workgroup DCSYS.

Any ideas or thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Regards - Bob Kruger