Dont understand Samba permissions.

Thomas.Hansen.tmh./Copenhagen at manbw.dk Thomas.Hansen.tmh./Copenhagen at manbw.dk
Thu Jul 16 09:40:29 GMT 1998

     Hej SAMBA users:

     I don't understand the way samba makes the file and dir permissions.
     Normally a a file inherits the permissions from the directory, from
     within it is created. In SAMBA you setup a mask for file and directory
     creating, with is used all over the share. If you a directory within
     the share with drwxrws--- set, and create a file, in that dir, it will
     not have the same permissions, but use the permissions you have stated
     in your mask:

     root at hpcs7:/web/edb-docs/hpcs7_root/serverview #ls -ld .
     drwxrws---   2 tmh        admweb        4096 Jul 14 14:43 .

     New file from samba:

     -rwxr-x---   2 tmh        a9544        200 Jul 14 14:43 juhu

     New file from unix:

     -rwxrwx---   2 tmh        admweb        300 Jul 14 14:43 file

     Could any tell me why? Do anyone know if it will changed, so a file
     can inherit the permissions from the parent dir?

     Thomas