Samba services to NT client

Jamey Strauch james.strauch at beasys.com
Thu Jul 16 01:13:29 GMT 1998

Hello Samba gurus....

My teammate and I are currently having some problems with samba. We set up
a number of samba shares on a Solaris 2.6 (ultra enterprise 450) server. We
have installed and configured Samba version samba-1.9.18p7.

The problem is with the share "beasw". (see config below) This share
contains executable installs for various standard PC desktop software. The
share works fine and is viewable and writable by both Windows95 clients and
Windows-NT 4.0 clients. But when trying to install the applications (such
as Meeting Maker, 2nd Copy 97, Netscape, etc.) from the share onto
Windows-NT 4.0 clients the following pop-up error message is displayed:

Cannot find \\san-diego\beasw\2ndcopy97\setup97.exe. Windows needs this
file to run \\san-diego\beasw\2ndcopy97\setup.exe.

This only happens from the NT clients. It installs fine onto a Windows95
client. And this happens with any of the setup or install executables on
this share. Has anyone ever run into this problem?

I initially thought it was due to the plain-text password registry fix NT
needed to access shares, but that registry entry was added and the same
error was generated. I have played with most of the settings to see if I
could toggle this error. But nothing has allowed me to install these
applications onto an NT client. I have added the smb.conf file to the
bottom of this message for reference.

Please email me at james.strauch at beasys.com if you have any suggestions
and/or comments.

[global]
;security = user
	security = share
	password level = 2
	workgroup = BEACORP
	guest account = samba
;	encrypt passwords = no
	homedir map = auto_home
	guest ok = yes
	os level = 65
	browseable = yes
	config file = /usr/local/samba/smb.conf
	status = yes
	log level = 2
	log file = /usr/local/samba/log.smb
	getwd cache = yes
	read prediction = yes
	socket options = TCP_NODELAY

	share modes = yes
	locking = yes
	strict locking = yes
	keepalive = 30
	dead time = 15
	lock directory = /var/spool/locks
	printing = sysv bsd
;	printcap name = /usr/local/samba/lib/printcap
	printcap name = lpstat
	lpq cache time = 0

	;domain master = yes
	domain logons = yes