Custom Print Command

Michael Tibor tibor at lib.uaa.alaska.edu
Thu Jul 16 00:07:04 GMT 1998

> You could also try psnup. It should handle postscript OK. Be
> careful about any PJL headers that come through from PC clients
> though (HP print drivers). I have a prog that will strip them off
> though. Otherwise use a really simple driver like the Apple
> LaserWriter II driver on the PC.

Hmmm... I grabbed psutils from ftp://ftp.dcs.ed.ac.uk/pub/ajcd/ and
compiled them on my Redhat 4.2 Linux server (with some warnings about
several functions in psnup.c:71 possibly being used uninitialized),
installed them and setup the following two print commands in
/etc/smb.conf:

(lines broken for readability)

print command = /usr/local/bin/psnup -4 | /usr/bin/lpr -P%p ; rm %s
print command = /usr/bin/groff %s | /usr/local/bin/psnup -4 |
                /usr/bin/lpr -P%p ; rm %s

Unfortunately the first one prints out a single page with what I think
is postscript error info:

%%BeginProcSet: PStoPS 1 15
userdict begin

The second one appears to format the output correctly, but I
essentially get 4 pages per sheet of postscript ascii output
(regardless of whether the Win95 driver is set to output ascii or
binary data).

I started my testing using the HP 4000 postscript driver
(I was so overjoyed that someone else actually replied that I
overlooked your warning about using the HP drivers  ;-)  and then I
tried the LaserWriter II NT driver--unfortunately the output with the
Laserwriter driver is still a bunch of garbage, but I did notice that
the PJL headers are gone.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mike
--
Mike Tibor         Univ. of Alaska Anchorage    (907) 786-1001 voice
LAN Technician     Consortium Library             (907) 786-6050 fax