Problem : Same name for WORKGROUP and DOMAIN (PR#8352)

Varol Keskin keskinv at sci.ege.edu.tr
Wed Jul 15 05:06:00 GMT 1998

On Tue, 14 Jul 1998, Jeremy Allison wrote:

> keskinv at alpha.sci.ege.edu.tr wrote:
> >
> > Our server running samba 1.9.18p8 has name ASTRONOMY and the workgroup name
> > 's also ASTRONOMY. All Win95 clients has also ASTRONOMY workgroup name.
> > After the installation of samba 1.9.18p8 on our linux server, all clients
> > show an error message which indicates that "workgroup name can not be the
> > same name as server name" during the loading Win95. This was not the case
> > for the previous version of samba. This error message was the same for some
> > other previous version of samba but I don't remember the version number.
>
> Setting the computer and workgroup name to be identical
> is a baaaaaad idea. NT will not allow you to do this
> (try it sometime). I will be adding code to Samba to
> explicitly disallow identical machine and workgroup
> names. The reason the previous version of Samba allowed
> it (1.9.17 probably) was because that version of nmbd
> was broken in several ways :-).
>
> Cheers,
>
> 	Jeremy Allison,
> 	Samba Team.
>
> --
> Buying an operating system without source is like buying
> a self-assembly Space Shuttle with no instructions.

We are not using NT in our department. We only have machines which are
using Windows 95. I think, for this reason, we did not have problem using
the same name.

Our server is working for a long time (since 1992) and everybody knows its
name. So, it will be too difficult for me to change it's name. But, if I
don't have any other chance, this is the only thing to do. Thanks.

Varol Keskin
Ege University Observatory
Bornova 35100, Izmir, TURKEY
keskinv at astronomy.sci.ege.edu.tr