New installation

Chris Knox cknox at citadel.hypercom.com
Wed Jul 15 00:00:02 GMT 1998

>From the docs file WinNT.txt

   Passwords:
   ==========
   One of the most annoying problems with WinNT is that NT refuses to
   connect to a server that is in user level security mode and that
   doesn't support password encryption unless it first prompts the user
   for a password.

   This means even if you have the same password on the NT box and the
   Samba server you will get prompted for a password. Entering the
   correct password will get you connected only if Windows NT can
   communicate with Samba using a compatible mode of password security.

The document goes on to say that you can do some surgery on your NT
system with regedt32 to allow unencrypte passwords.  I presume this is
the situation I'm up against right now, as when I try to map my samba
server to my NT workstation, get a dialog box marked "Enter Network
Password" that looks something like this:

	Incorrect password or unknown username for
	   \\SMBSERVER                                    OK
                                                        Cancel

If I have to go around to every NT box in the company and hack the
registry, I'm not going to be able to use Samba.  Am I missing something?
Certainly wouldn't be the first time.

How do I use Samba without compromising security on my server AND
without modifying the client?

--
Chris Knox                                               cknox at hypercom.com
Hypercom, Inc.                                               (602) 504-5888