win95 client problems (registry limitation?)

Stephen L Arnold arnold.steve at ensco.com
Mon Jul 13 06:44:26 GMT 1998

Howdy:

I'm new to this samba stuff, but I've run across a problem that
doesn't seem to be documented anywhere.

It seems that OSR/2 clients (with all the M$ system updates; I
already added the EnableClearTextPassword key) that have had their
TCP/IP settings tweaked in the registry (eg, MaxMTU=576, TTL=32,
RWIN added, etc) for DUN connections have mucho problems with a
samba server on the LAN.  Machines without the DUN tweaks work
great browsing their home directories, eg, right-clicking on files
to open them in an editor, etc.  However, the machines with the DUN
mods have problems opening files.  Copying files back and forth
works, but when I try and right-click on a text file and open it, I
usually get a partial file (after the editor times-out with a "Disk
file read error").  I tried adding both sets of reg keys, but I
couldn't figure out how to do it.  Although there are separate sets
of keys for each net transport (ie, one for DUN TCP and one for LAN
TCP), most of the relevant settings are all lumped under
...\VxD\MSTCP.  The only way I could see to use the right settings
for each application is to remove the DUN settings when I want to
use the samba server, and put them back when I need to dial out
(pretty ugly and painful solution).

I upgraded the samba package that came with RedHat4.2 to 1.9.17p4,
but that made the problems worse :-(

Does anybody know how to set the server side (smb.conf) to handle
win95 clients with the typical dialup TCP/IP settings?

Or better yet, will 1.9.18p8 fix this problem?  If so, how do I get
the generic package to put the files where RedHat 4.2 expects them
to be?

Thanks in advance, Steve Arnold

Stephen L. Arnold                               Systems Engineer
ENSCO Inc.                        email:  arnold.steve at ensco.com
P.O. Box 5488                         www:  http://www.ensco.com
Vandenberg AFB, CA  93437             voice: 805.734.8232 x68838
                                               fax: 805.734.4779
#include <std_disclaimer.h>