Custom Print Command

Michael Tibor tibor at lib.uaa.alaska.edu
Fri Jul 10 17:10:09 GMT 1998

On Fri, 10 Jul 1998, Herb Lewis wrote:

> The problem is the file sent from the windows client. It will be
> postscript not text. Your setup for multipage output will only work
> with text files. If all you really want to do is print text (not
> word documents, etc.) you could set up a printer driver on the PC
> for generic text and use that. This file should then be able to be
> processed by your multipage filter.

Isn't mpage supposed to be able to handle postscript though?

Here's a snippet from the man page:

DESCRIPTION
    Mpage reads plain text files or PostScript documents and prints
    them on a PostScript printer with the text reduced in size so
    that several pages appear on one sheet of paper.

Looking through the Redhat print filters, it looks like mpage is used
to handle the multipage output, and then either sent to the printer as
raw ps output, or filtered through gs to make it work with a non
postscript printer.

We're going to be putting two HP 8000's out for public use to replace
a bunch of ancient dot matrix printers, and to save paper I'd really
like to set this up, and maybe also get duplexers on the HP's as well.

Mike
--
Mike Tibor         Univ. of Alaska Anchorage    (907) 786-1001 voice
LAN Technician     Consortium Library             (907) 786-6050 fax