1.9.18p8: still no luck with smbpasswd

Gert-Jan Vons vons at ocegr.fr
Wed Jul 8 21:55:34 GMT 1998

Hello all,

we're experiencing some problems with smbpasswd when using
the latest samba version (1.9.18p8).

When new people arrive, they are added to the smbpasswd file
without a password and requested to change it asap. But
unfortunately, it seems to be impossible to change a null
password to something else :-(

The last couple of releases have changed some things in this area.
I went through the

  - smbpasswd no longer needs sbit (i.e. goes through smbd)
  - XXXXXX....:XXXXX... -> "NO PASSWORDXXX....:XXXX....." in passwd file
  - null passwords = yes in smb.conf

changes, but to no avail. I'm seeing this problem both at work
under Solaris 2.5.1 and at home under FreeBSD 2.2.6, both built
using the std makefile settings for these platforms.

If I try to change my existing password, everything works fine.

If I remove my password by setting "NO PASSWORD" in the samba
passwd file, I get the following error (debug level 3) whenever
I try to change it:

 > $ smbpasswd
 > doing parameter password level = 2
 > doing parameter getwd cache = yes
 > doing parameter security = user
 > doing parameter status = yes
 > doing parameter guest account = pcguest
 > doing parameter os level = 34
 > doing parameter encrypt passwords = yes
 > doing parameter null passwords = yes
 > doing parameter share modes = no
 > doing parameter domain master = yes
 > doing parameter preferred master = yes
 > doing parameter logon script = %U.bat
 > doing parameter read prediction = yes
 > doing parameter socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_REUSEADDR
 > doing parameter name resolve order = host bcast
 > pm_process() returned Yes
 > adding IPC service
 > Old SMB password:
 > New SMB password:
 > Retype new SMB password:
 > Connecting to 127.0.0.1 at port 139
 > smbpasswd: machine 127.0.0.1 rejected the session setup.
 > Error was : ERRSRV - ERRbadpw (Bad password - name/password pair in a
 > Tree Connect or Session Setup are invalid.).
 > $

The log file contains:

 > bind succeeded on port 0
 > open_oplock ipc: pid = 1024, oplock_port = 2434
 > priming nmbd
 > sending a packet of len 1 to (127.0.0.1) on port 137 of type DGRAM
 > 1998/07/08 21:55:05 Transaction 0 of length 76
 > netbios connect: name1=127              name2=DODO
 > Trying username dodO
 > 1998/07/08 21:55:05 Transaction 1 of length 168
 > switch message SMBnegprot (pid 1024)
 > Requested protocol [PC NETWORK PROGRAM 1.0]
 > Requested protocol [MICROSOFT NETWORKS 1.03]
 > Requested protocol [MICROSOFT NETWORKS 3.0]
 > Requested protocol [LANMAN1.0]
 > Requested protocol [LM1.2X002]
 > Requested protocol [Samba]
 > Selected protocol NT LANMAN 1.0
 > 1998/07/08 21:55:05 Transaction 2 of length 82
 > switch message SMBsesssetupX (pid 1024)
 > Domain=[]  NativeOS=[Unix] NativeLanMan=[Samba]
 > sesssetupX:name=[VONS]
 > 1998/07/08 21:55:06 error packet at line 633 cmd=115 (SMBsesssetupX)
 > eclass=2 ecode=2
 > error string = No such file or directory
 > end of file from client
 > Closing connections

Other people have posted about similar problems, but I couldn't
find any answer in the archives. Does anybody happen to know what
may be going on ?

        Gert-Jan