Restoring original file permissions

Nick Parker npar at Berger-Levrault.fr
Tue Jul 7 14:33:23 GMT 1998

>I've compiled and configured Samba 1.9.18p8 on a DEC Alpha running
>DEC Unix 4.0b for the express purpose of enabling a Windows NT 4.0
>server running Seagate BackupExec software to be able to see my Unix
>filesystems as NT shares and back them up (as of this time BackupExec
>does not support DEC Unix clients).
>
>I was curious to know if anyone could offer any advice/solution to
>solving this dilemma.

My advice would be to use a Unix-based backup system for Unix drives and an NT-based backup system for NT drives. The enormous difference between the file permissions of the two systems means that you are unlikely to ever be able to recreate the original file permissions after passing through unix->NT->unix.

Nick Parker
Berger-Levrault, France