Windows98 & SMB

Kevin Fonda kfonda at compuwiz.com
Thu Jul 2 21:32:39 GMT 1998

If you look on the Win98 CD in the directory '/tools/mtsutil/' you should
find the files: 'ptxt_on.inf' and 'ptxt_off.inf' here is a clip from the
mtsutil.txt file in that directory:

PTXT_ON.INF - SENDS PLAIN-TEXT PASSWORDS TO YOUR NETWORK SERVER

For security reasons, Windows 98 will not allow you to send plain-
text passwords. The password is encrypted by default. However,
Samba servers require plain-text passwords, so you will not be able
to connect to Samba servers unless you change a Registry entry to
enable plain-text passwords.

   Caution: Enabling plain-text passwords could compromise security.

To enable plain-text passwords, add the Registry entry for
EnablePlainTextPassword (as a Dword) and set the value to 1 in the
following Registry location:

 HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System
    \CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\Vnetsup

To set the value for EnablePlainTextPassword to 1:

1. Select PTXT_ON.INF found in the \Tools\MTSutil folder on the
   Windows 98 CD.

2. Right-Click PTXT_ON.INF.
 -or-
   Hold down the SHIFT key and press the function key, F10.

3. Choose INSTALL to add the EnablePlainTextPassword entry and set
   its value to 1.

PTXT_OFF.INF - SENDS ENCRYPTED PASSWORDS TO YOUR NETWORK SERVER

To re-enable the sending of encrypted passwords to your network
server, add the Registry entry EnablePlainTextPassword (as a Dword)
and set the value to 0 in the following Registry location:

 HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System
    \CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\Vnetsup

To set the value for EnablePlainTextPassword to 0:

1. Select PTXT_OFF.INF found in the \Tools\MTSutil folder on the
   Windows 98 CD.

2. Right-Click PTXT_OFF.INF.
 -or-
   Hold down the SHIFT key and press the function key, F10.

3. Choose INSTALL to add the EnablePlainTextPassword entry and set
   its value to 0.

   Kevin Fonda                  Email: kfonda at compuwiz.com
   5 Main St.                   Phone: (732) 223-2013
   Manasquan, NJ 08736          Fax  : (732) 223-3431