samba + WIN-user with german 'umlaut'

Dirk Thomalla thomalla at scholz.isar.de
Thu Jul 2 12:31:12 GMT 1998

Hi all,

I think I have a 'codepage'-problem.
Here is the problem:
We are using samba 1.9.18.p8 on Linux 2.0.34
and the samba option 'security=server'.
And we have one Windows user, who has a german 'umlaut' in his username.
If he tries to connect to a samba share, the user/password combination
is accepted by the 'security server', but the username is not mapped to the
Linux user (so he gets connected as the guest account).
My workaround:
I have added a second line for this user in the passwd file with the same UID.
All characters uppercase and a Windows 'umlaut'  in the username'.
(means: Windows ascii value for this umlaut)
Now the Windows user is mapped to the Linux user.

Is this the 'right' way or is there a mistake in our
samba configuration?

Thanks,

Dirk